PESTO TRAPANESE for Valentine's Week!
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes (I use a blend of Heirloom, cherry and fresh San Marzano when available)
- 2 cloves of garlic skin on
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup raw almonds (if you can find fresh unpasteurized are much better)
- Pecorino Romano (optional)
- 1 bottle of Valentine’s Damn Good Vino and some fine music.
Toast almonds and garlic cloves in a cast iron skillet for a few minutes until fragrant but not burned.
After cooling off the almonds grind them in a blender or smash in a mortar (this is more fun) and set aside.
Chop the tomatoes coarsely and put in blender.
Add basil, peeled garlic (after removing the green vein if found), almonds, salt and pepper.
Start blending and when the sauce begins to liquefy, slowly add the olive oil.
If using cheese, add shaved Pecorino Romano and fold in the sauce with a spoon.
Boil up your favorite spaghetti, add your homemade Pesto Trapanese and toast a job well done! Salute!